Re: Out of source compilation

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Out of source compilation
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 18:52:52 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> No, sorry I explained wrong myself ;)
>
> I was asking about using the M-x compile command in general. So use
> compilation buffers, recompile, goto-next-error and so on.
>
> When compiling in source it is almost trivial, but when the building
> directory is out of sources (like cmake does by default)

No, CMake does not build out of source by default. CMake uses the
current directory by default :-)

> I don't know if
> there is a way to tell to emacs that the compilation directory is
> somewhere else.

No that I know of, that's because I rolled my own.

On Emacs proper, there is project.el which has a TODO about
project-build:

;; * Build tool related functionality.  Start with a `project-build'
;;   command, which should provide completions on tasks to run, and
;;   maybe allow entering some additional arguments.

which is a bit vague.

Creating your own command to be used instead of `compile' (or advising
it) is quite easy, so easy that the value of any future built-in
functionality is questionable given the vast differences on build setups
that you will find out there.