Several versions of same package

From: jonetsu
Subject: Several versions of same package
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 09:42:39 -0400

I've installed over the previous weeks several packages to support Go,
using M-x package-list-packages.  Thus the .emacs.d/ directory now has:

go-mode-20181012.329/
go-mode-20190908.2239/
go-mode-20190917.1943/

The last one was in the melpa list today so I figured it was a new
version.  Hence I took a look in the .emacs.d/ directory.

I'm somewhat surprised that the previous versions were not removed and,
does emacs in such a case always uses the latest one ?

Cheers.