Re: Wildcard matching in debbugs-gnu-search - how?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Wildcard matching in debbugs-gnu-search - how?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:32:32 +0200

> Hi,

Hi Michael,

> I've read the debbugs-ug manual now (ok, partly, and not far enough to
> find out what "-ug" stands for).

"User Guide" :-)

It is the very first line of the manual.

The debbugs manual itself is intended for the SOAP backend, if somebody
wants to write another interface but debbugs-gnu.el and debbugs-org.el.

> My question: With the newest version of debbugs-gnu, why doesn't, for
> example,
>
> (debbugs-gnu-search "[RX] ^el-search-.*-sources$" nil nil nil nil)
>
> give me matches but
>
> (debbugs-gnu-search "el-search-emacs-elisp-sources" nil nil nil nil)
>
> finds one - what's wrong with my given RX syntax?  I also fail trying to
> use [BW] and [EW].  BTW, are these operators also allowed when
> specifying the subject, or only for the body?

Well, personally I haven't used regular expressions yet. The don't work
for me either.

For simple tests, you might use <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/search.cgi>.
debbugs-gnu-search shall be have similar.

In your case, knowing the the Estraier search machine is not really full
text based but word based, I would try

(debbugs-gnu-search "el AND search AND sources" nil nil nil nil)

This gives you 120 hits. Likely some of them are false postives, but it
shall be manageable.

Btw, maybe I shall make all debbugs-gnu-search arguments optional ...

> TIA,
>
> Michael.

Best regards, Michael.