Re: Searching in Gnus: gnus-group-make-nnir-group does not recurse into

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: Searching in Gnus: gnus-group-make-nnir-group does not recurse into subtopics
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 08:18:01 -1000

>> Ah, there's a simple answer as it turns out. Position the
>> cursor to the top of the hierarchy of interest (the topic
>> line). Press # and every visible group in the topic hierarchy
>> gets marked. A subsequent G G searches all the marked
>> groups. Remove the marks with M U.
>
> Although it does not solve my problem completely, this is a useful
> tip. Thanks.

Where does it fall short? By the way, with a little more
experimentation I found that non-visible groups in the
hierarchy also get (non-visibly) marked and searched, so this
may actually be much closer to what you wanted.

> The function `gnus-topic-find-groups' looks promising. I did some

I took a lot at that too and had to write a little function to
parse the output. It returns rather too much information
including many duplicate group records. And translating the
de-duped list into a search is a problem I didn't take on,
once I found out that marking was a better way.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i