Re: Strange behaviour on Windows 10

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour on Windows 10
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 21:26:05 +0300

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 16:15:36 +0200
>
> >"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   EZ> One possible reason is that your Emacs is a 32-bit build.  Windows
>   EZ> silently redirects all accesses to C:\Windows\System32 from 32-bit
>   EZ> programs to C:\Windows\SysWOW64.  If there's no OpenSSH there, you get
>   EZ> an error.
>
> Thank you. Yes, there is no OpenSSH dir in SysWOW64. I totally forgot
> about 32/64 bits problems.
>
> Does that mean I have to install a 64 bits emacs to make it work?

First, did you verify that your Emacs is a 32-bit build?  What is the
value of system-configuration?

If that indeed indicates a 32-bit build, you have 2 alternatives:

  . install a 64-bit build of Emacs (this is the preferred solution,
    and will serve you better down the road)

  . continue using the 32-bit build, but make a batch file that will
    call OpenSSH, then put that batch file somewhere on PATH.  The
    batch file should have the same base name as the OpenSSH program
    you are invoking, probably ssh.cm (this assumes the corresponding
    Lisp program calls "ssh", not "ssh.exe")