Re: just question Wayland and Emacs

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: just question Wayland and Emacs
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 20:02:34 +0900

Sorry, forgot to CC the mailing list.

> 2019. 9. 29. 오전 11:43, 황병희 <soyeomul@red-october.yw.doraji.xyz> 작성:
>
> Hi i am chromebook user. Someday far later, if again i buy new chromebook
> (Pixelbook Go -- Atlas), i would like to use Emacs via Crostini. Already
> Chrome OS is going with Wayland as the version 76.0.3809.136 [1].

Why would  XWayland not be an option? Is it for Wayland purity? Or does
XWayland not work in ChromeOS?

> So i
> question. How is it going to be Wayland porting for Emacs?

I’m not a developer, but I think Emacs doesn’t have a working Wayland backend.
[0]
It does have a fork[1] working on a pure GTK3 backend though, so maybe that
might be sufficient for your use.

[0]
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/48561/is-there-an-x11-free-build-of-emacs-that-can-run-on-wayland-not-going-through-x

[1] https://github.com/masm11/emacs