Re: Shouldn't vc-dir show only files under VC by default?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Shouldn't vc-dir show only files under VC by default?
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 08:49:15 -0400

> The problem is I have to use a tool (Android Studio) which generates
> lots of extra files and directories automatically in the source tree
> which I may or may not modify.

AFAIK, this problem should affect all users, rather than only VC users,
because it's standard practice to show unregistered files (e.g. `git status`
also shows them).

So, maybe you should ask around the Android Studio crowd how people
usually deal with that.

> If I don't modify them then they can be
> ignored, but if I do modify them then I have to add them to git and in
> the latter case it is inconvenient that I have to unignore the file
> first.

You don't need to "unignore" them.  Just `git add <file>` and you're done.
`.gitignore` only determines whether a unknown file should be mentioned
as "unregistered" or not; it has no effect on files which are under
Git's control.

        Stefan