Upgrading elpa packages results in Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-de

From: Carlo Tambuatco
Subject: Upgrading elpa packages results in Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth...
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 10:43:10 -0400

During routine upgrading of my installed elpa packages via:

M-x package-list-packages

the package manager just kind of downloads the requested packages, then when
the compilation starts, it dies after about one second with the message: Lisp
nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth

I get the error message listed above and the package manager simply fails to
compile the files...

This only started happening today, it has never happened before. This happens
regardless of which packages
I am upgrading.

Any help appreciated...