Re: Wildcard matching in debbugs-gnu-search - how?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Wildcard matching in debbugs-gnu-search - how?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:57:09 +0200

[Trying to resend the message because the original one had a broken
header]

> No. I spent some hours in asking search engines for any hint what "word"
> means in the HyperEstraier environment, no hit found. I've read also all
> the Perl code in debbugs which does the HyperEstraier integration, no
> hit either.

Maybe Mikio (author of Hyper Estraier) can help?  Dunno if the Email
address stated on https://fallabs.com/hyperestraier/ is still
working.

Mikio, we are wondering how the Hyper Estraier algorithm splits texts
into words.  We are assuming that word syntax is defined by Ruby
syntax.  Is that correct?

And what happens with non-word characters?  Seems they are not just
ignored: a search phrase "foo-bar" matches occurrences of "foo-bar", but
"foo bar" seemingly doesn't find it.  So, what exactly is a "word" in
the context of Hyper Estraier?  Help appreciated.

TIA,

Michael.