Re: Any tricks to speedup nnimap?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Any tricks to speedup nnimap?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:25:50 +0530

>> I have read some articles that recommend "mbsync" and "dovecot". But
>> that is a dependency on external tools. I would prefer native emacs
>> approach if it is possible.
>
> They aren't really external tools -- well, they're external to Emacs,
> but Gnus will still behave the same as always. Essentially, going that
> route is replicating an IMAP server on your local machine, and having
> Gnus access that server rather than the remote one. That might sound
> excessive, but actually it works quite well. It is very fast, and has
> the advantage that you can still do everything you need to with your
> email while you're offline.

Thanks Eric.

I just tried it. It works really well. But there is another problem. I
keep only 1000 messages locally. There is a setting in mbsync to do
that. I just realized that searching through all the mails will be not
be possible using this approach.

So, I resorted back to nnimap backend. nnir works perfectly with this
approach. My connection is not slow but the fast access to news makes it
look slow (comparatively).

May be someday, when I have elisp skills developed, I will try to give
time to this backend. Or may be wait for someone else to do it. :-)

--
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid