Re: vc for git users.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc for git users.
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 13:38:42 -0400

> Not sure what the closest VCS-neutral approach would be.

Back in PCV-CVS days I had a `vc-start-partial-checkin`
which would copy the current buffer's file to <filename>.~vc-ppci~ and
setup had an after-commit hook which reverted to the saved
<filename>.~vc-ppci~ copy.

So I used M-x vc-start-partial-checkin RET, then used diff-mode and
direct editing to undo the parts I didn't want to commit yet, then did
the C-x v v.

I still think it's a pretty convenient workflow since you're not limited
to a hunk granularity.  I often do the same by hand nowadays:
- git stash
- vc-git-stash-show
- from the *vc-diff*, re-apply the parts I want
- commit
- git stash apply+drop

        Stefan