Re: How to make flymake happy without interfering with logic?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to make flymake happy without interfering with logic?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 16:24:10 -0500

> I have a file 'init-env.el' in '<user-emacs-directory>/lisp'
> directory. In my 'init.el' when I do (require 'init-env), flymake says
> no such file or directory.

flymake is designed for files which can be correctly byte-compiled from
a "vanilla" Emacs.

Wrapping your `load-path` modification inside an `eval-and-compile` is
one way to make it work.  Another way could be to do

    (if t (require 'init-env))

so the `require` is only executed when loading the file but not when
compiling it.  Another could be to use

    (require 'init-env (expand-file-name "lisp/init-env" user-emacs-directory)

Yet another might be to disable flymake in that file because the file
just doesn't lend itself to this kind of checking.

        Stefan