Re: binding b-key to pageback behavior

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: binding b-key to pageback behavior
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:17:19 +0100

VanL wrote:

>>> Is there a general configuration to bind
>>> b-key to pageback?
>>
>> Well, how would that work? In your code, it
>> isn't even the same function, it is
>> `scroll-down-command', then its
>> `View-scroll-page-backward'... And even if
>> it did, after evaluating it one wouldn't be
>> able to write this very message!
>
> Those modes the customization is done to are
> for reading only in the main.

I thought by "general" you meant you looked for
a way to do it without stating the specific
modes and/or functions?

If that's not what you meant, what is a general
configuration to bind a specific key to
a concept, which is implemented differently in
different modes?

> SPC behaves as expected there and I look for
> the reverse binding to apply to b.

Do `C-h k SPC' to find out what SPC does.
Use this to figure out the name of the reverse
function. Bind this to b:

(require 'mode)
(define-key mode-map "b" #'function-name)

> Thanks for the suggestions. Are you able to
> put a LICENSE on your code?
>
> For example, I keep a CC0 empty file and..

CC0 = Creative Commons 1.0?

Well, I haven't read the small print...

Is it enough if I put one file in the base
directory of all my Elisp?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573