Emacs support for mixed Python/C debugging

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Emacs support for mixed Python/C debugging
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 14:45:01 -0600

I normally do very little in the way of bona fide Python-level debugging.
For the most part, a sprinkling of print statements/function calls has
sufficed. Back in 2004 or thereabouts, I wrote some GDB user-defined
commands which made their way into the Python distribution as Misc/gdbinit.
I've used used that off-and-on over the years, but it was always a bit
fragile, too tied to the struture of Python's runtime interpreter. (This
was long before GDB 7 had some extra Python support.)

I'm embarking on a deep dive into Python's byte code compiler, which will
entail debugging at both the Python and C level. I haven't done much with
Python's internals over the past ten years. I'm willing to switch to one of
the many Python IDEs if necessary (though worry that none of them will
support mixed Python/C breakpoints), but would rather use Emacs+GDB
if possible. What are my options?

Thanks,

Skip