Re: Large text files - no line numbers ?

From: jonetsu
Subject: Re: Large text files - no line numbers ?
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:07:41 -0500

On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 15:57:49 +0100
Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume you mean in the mode line? What's your value of
> line-number-display-limit? (and I donʼt think bookmarks depend on
> being able to show the line number, at least not the ones created by
> 'C-x r m')

It's currently set to 'no limit'.  The mode is Fundamental and the
percentage into the file is shown.  But no line numbers. And yes, adding
bookmarks from that 733K file results in all bookmarks pointing at the
same location, Whereas bookmarks are working fine for other files.

There's another variable though, called line-number-display-limit-width
which was set to 200.  Setting it to 1000 (arbitrary number for
testing) brings back the line numbers in the mode line.

Thanks for the hint.