Re: Large text files - no line numbers ?

From: jonetsu
Subject: Re: Large text files - no line numbers ?
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 10:03:13 -0500

On Thu, 05 Dec 2019 09:50:39 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> For some value of "this" which you have kept secret so far.

Yesterday I replied that the file size was 733K.  That it was a log
file.  And that setting an arbitrary/test value of 1000 (default: 200)
in line-number-display-limit-width solved the problem as far the the
mode line line numbers are concerned as they went from 'L??' to
'L<actual number>'.  I can add that the file is a text file.

What else ?  emacs is: GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X
toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2019-01-28.

Basically the use case is:

Load the log file.  See that the line number display is:
'L??'.  Try to set several bookmarks, they do not go back to the lines
they were set.  Ask here. Modify the line-number-display-limit-width to
1000.  See that the line numbers are now displayed.  Set some
bookmarks.  Bookmark behaviour is still wrong.

Let me know if there are other details that are needed.