Re: Large text files - no line numbers ?

From: jonetsu
Subject: Re: Large text files - no line numbers ?
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 10:27:50 -0500

On Thu, 05 Dec 2019 15:56:21 +0100
Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thatʼs surprising, since the bookmark function records the value of
> (point), which should always be available regardless of whether Emacs
> can determine the line number.
>
> Does it fail from 'emacs -Q' as well?

Yes it does.  I used bookmark-bmenu-list to list the named bookmarks.
The mode line line numbers were shown as 'L??'

Here is the content of the ~/.emacs.d/bookmarks file.  I'm afraid I had
to replace some text in there, eg. path and file name, reference text
(sometext). The rest is as is.

;;;; Emacs Bookmark Format Version 1 ;;;; -*- coding: utf-8-emacs -*-
;;; This format is meant to be slightly human-readable;
;;; nevertheless, you probably don't want to edit it.
;;; -*- End Of Bookmark File Format Version Stamp -*-
(("test2"
 (filename . "logfile.log")
 (front-context-string . "1/sometext")
 (rear-context-string . "nclude -I/home/x")
 (position . 264231))
("test1"
 (filename . "logfile.log")
 (front-context-string . "sometext production")
 (rear-context-string . "sutil3.empty.o\n\n")
 (position . 88415))