tramp multi hop ssh, and shell

From: Joao Cortes
Subject: tramp multi hop ssh, and shell
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 10:17:51 +0000

When hoping about an ssh gateway, 'tramp' performs a new connection each
time I call 'compile'.

For instance, If I do

C-x C-f /ssh:me@taurus|/ssh:me@aries:,

'tramp' correctly connects me to aries, asking for authentication for
both machines.  However, If I run 'compile' , or open a new shell with
'shell' while in an aries directory, Tramp reconnects to aries , asking
for authentication again and again.

If I do not hop about taurus, doing something like,

C-x C-f /ssh:me@aries,

running 'compile' does not cause a reconnection.

Can any one confirm this behaviour? If so, is this intendend?

Does anyone know how to make emacs treat a multi hop like a non hoping
connection?

Thanks