Creating custom key maps for stock bindings

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Creating custom key maps for stock bindings
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:16:29 -0900

Using GNU Emacs 26.1 with evil and which-key

which-key provides the following function:

(which-key--create-buffer-and-show &optional PREFIX-KEYS FROM-KEYMAP
FILTER PREFIX-TITLE)

I use something like this:

(which-key--create-buffer-and-show nil tj-mode-map)

which I really like because it provides more-than-mnemonic help in a buffer, on demand and enables me to organize keybindings to any number of keymaps presumable by functionality.

So, having been raised on a homestead and an eternal tinkerer, it occurs to me that I could rebind existing

singleton modifier key into something like this (simple examples only):

tj-control-keymap, containing all the commands which have a control-char combinations

tj-alt-keymap, containing all the commands which have a alt-char combinations

tj-control-alt-keymap, containing all the commands which have a control-alt-char combinations

The question I have, to avoid possible unforeseen problems down the road, do I need to unset all of these keys before rebinding them to custom keymaps?

I believe most are bound to global-map.

thanks

--
Tim