Re: non-functioning abbrev mode

From: ken
Subject: Re: non-functioning abbrev mode
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 19:36:56 -0500

On 1/12/20 2:43 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 14:20:04 -0500
>>
>> It must be twenty years now that I've been using abbrev mode, never with
>> a problem.  But a few days ago it ceased working.  For instance, one
>> common abbrev "wtih" is automatically replaced by "with".  This has
>> always worked fine.  But now, although it says "Abbrev" on the status
>> line, nothing happens when I type "wtih".
> Crystal ball says your abbrev_defs file disappeared or got corrupted.

Your crystal ball works pretty good.  I don't know how it might have
gotten corrupted, but when I swapped in a backup, normality returned.
Thanks for the prognostication.

>> Perhaps a related problem, the "abbrev-save" function appears to no
>> longer exist.
> There was never such a function in Emacs, AFAICT.  Maybe it's
> something you defined in your init files?  There's a _variable_ named
> save-abbrevs, though.

Yeah, I must have been thinking twenty or thirty years back in ancient
emacs history.  What I was looking for was write-abbrevs... and it works.