Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead of f

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead of ftcrhb
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 12:12:13 +0100

Hi all,

I use the current Emacs from the master branch.  It is configured with
cairo and HarfBuzz support.

  (frame-parameter nil 'font-backend) ;=> (ftcrhb x)

I don't configure fonts inside emacs but it takes my default monospaced
font from GNOME settings.  Right now, that is set to PragmataPro, so
describe-char says something like

    display: by this font (glyph code)
    ftcrhb:-FSD -PragmataPro-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
(#x46)

So far, so good.  When I now switch my GNOME monospace font setting to
the JetBrains Mono font [1] and fire up a new frame, it seems like a
bitmap variant of that font is used.  describe-char says:

    display: by this font (glyph code)
    x:-misc-jetbrains mono-medium-r-normal--15-108-100-100-m-90-iso8859-1 (#x6F)

So indeed, here the font-backend is x rather than ftcrhb.  But both
PragmataPro and JetBrainsMono are normal TTF fonts.  fc-list knows them
both:

➜ fc-list|egrep '(Jet|Pragmata)'|sort
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Bold Italic.ttf: PragmataPro:style=Bold
Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Bold.ttf: PragmataPro:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Italic.ttf: PragmataPro:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Liga Bold Italic.ttf: PragmataPro
Liga:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Liga Bold.ttf: PragmataPro
Liga:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Liga Italic.ttf: PragmataPro
Liga:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Liga Regular.ttf: PragmataPro
Liga:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Bold Italic.ttf: PragmataPro
Mono:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Bold.ttf: PragmataPro
Mono:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Italic.ttf: PragmataPro
Mono:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Liga Bold Italic.ttf: PragmataPro
Mono Liga:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Liga Bold.ttf: PragmataPro Mono
Liga:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Liga Italic.ttf: PragmataPro Mono
Liga:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Liga Regular.ttf: PragmataPro Mono
Liga:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Mono Regular.ttf: PragmataPro
Mono:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/FSD - PragmataPro Regular.ttf: PragmataPro:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-Bold-Italic.ttf: JetBrains Mono:style=Bold
Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-Bold.ttf: JetBrains Mono:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-ExtraBold-Italic.ttf: JetBrains
Mono,JetBrains Mono ExtraBold:style=Extra Bold Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-ExtraBold.ttf: JetBrains Mono,JetBrains Mono
ExtraBold:style=Extra Bold,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-Italic.ttf: JetBrains Mono:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-Medium-Italic.ttf: JetBrains Mono,JetBrains
Mono Medium:style=Medium Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-Medium.ttf: JetBrains Mono,JetBrains Mono
Medium:style=Medium,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/JetBrainsMono-Regular.ttf: JetBrains Mono:style=Regular

I've tried other fonts as well (like DejaVu Mono) and they all work just
fine in Emacs.  It's just that single one which doesn't work in emacs
but it does work in other apps (like all GNOME apps).

Any idea how to debug what's the problem with that font?

Thanks,
  Tassilo

[1] https://github.com/JetBrains/JetBrainsMono