Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead of ftcrhb
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 13:15:48 +0100

    Tassilo> Hi all,
    Tassilo> I use the current Emacs from the master branch.  It is configured
with
    Tassilo> cairo and HarfBuzz support.

    Tassilo>   (frame-parameter nil 'font-backend) ;=> (ftcrhb x)

    Tassilo> I don't configure fonts inside emacs but it takes my default
monospaced
    Tassilo> font from GNOME settings.  Right now, that is set to PragmataPro,
so
    Tassilo> describe-char says something like

    Tassilo>     display: by this font (glyph code)
    Tassilo>     ftcrhb:-FSD
-PragmataPro-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x46)

    Tassilo> So far, so good.  When I now switch my GNOME monospace font
setting to
    Tassilo> the JetBrains Mono font [1] and fire up a new frame, it seems like
    Tassilo> bitmap variant of that font is used.  describe-char says:

    Tassilo>     display: by this font (glyph code)
    Tassilo>     x:-misc-jetbrains
mono-medium-r-normal--15-108-100-100-m-90-iso8859-1 (#x6F)

This is from 'emacs -Q' as well? One thing you could do is run

FC_DEBUG=15 emacs -Q

which will output debug on what FontConfig is trying to do. The
jetbrains font is using iso8859-1 rather than iso10646-1, perhaps
there is some influence from locale settings?

FWIW, I canʼt reproduce this. Which distribution is this on?

Robert