Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead of ftcrhb
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 14:54:23 +0100

    Tassilo> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    Tassilo> Hi Robert,

    Robert> This is from 'emacs -Q' as well? One thing you could do is run

    Tassilo> Yes, emacs -Q is the same.

    Robert> FC_DEBUG=15 emacs -Q

    Tassilo> Wow, that's large.  I uploaded it here:

https://send.firefox.com/download/c5f0f5318f936032/#OGuNHBWhZCZHTCW0TV2YDA

Yes, FontConfig can be kind of verbose. I didnʼt notice anything
untoward there.

    Tassilo> That's the value after changing the font, setting it to nil and
opening
    Tassilo> a new frame.

Something is causing Emacs to look for -misc-jetbrains mono- ,
and itʼs failing to find the TTF version.

    >> FWIW, I canʼt reproduce this. Which distribution is this on?

    Tassilo> This is on Arch Linux where the JetBrainsMono font is installed as
    Tassilo> system package in version 1.0.1.  I've seen that the current
version is
    Tassilo> 1.0.2, so maybe the issue is fixed upstream alread...

    Tassilo> So I've just downloaded the JetBrainsMono-1.0.2.zip and copied
over the
    Tassilo> new TTF files to /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ overwriting the existing
ones and
    Tassilo> ran "sudo fc-cache".  Therafter, my emacs shows mostly boxes:

Does Arch have some kind of 'fallback to bitmap' configuration? What
does 'C-u C-x =' say about which font is being used?

Robert