Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead of ftcrhb
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 17:26:50 +0100

    Tassilo> This is on Arch Linux where the JetBrainsMono font is installed as
    Tassilo> system package in version 1.0.1.  I've seen that the current
version is
    Tassilo> 1.0.2, so maybe the issue is fixed upstream alread...
    >>
    Tassilo> So I've just downloaded the JetBrainsMono-1.0.2.zip and copied
over the
    Tassilo> new TTF files to /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ overwriting the existing
ones and
    Tassilo> ran "sudo fc-cache".  Therafter, my emacs shows mostly boxes:
    >>
    >> Does Arch have some kind of 'fallback to bitmap' configuration?

Could you try uninstalling the system package, and installing the
1.0.2 version using the fonts tool? Just open the font(s) from your file
manager, and there will be an 'install' button at the top right which
will copy it somewhere under ~/.local/ rather than the system directories.

    Tassilo> Not that I know of but I'm no font config expert.  Usually, it just
    Tassilo> works...

I took a look at the Arch jetbrainsmono-1.0.1 package, and it wants to
install 'xorg-bdftopcf', which is used for converting fonts from
bitmap formats, which is somewhat strange for a TTF font.

Robert