Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: Specific TTF font gets loaded with font-backend x instead of ftcrhb
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 13:29:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> We should not signal this error when the unibyte string is
>> pure-ASCII.  Let me think of a solution.
>
> Does the below help?

Yes, it does help.  The error is gone.

> If it does, you should see the "--" in the mode line replaced with the
> ligature (whether this is the desired behavior is another question).

Exactly, and here I'd say it is definitively not the right behavior
because because both chars have a separate meaning (buffer writable?
and buffer modified?) and help-echo which aren't accessible anymore.

I don't know how to cope with such situations.  Maybe composition should
only consider strings with equal text properties.  Or, as you already
said, there should be some text property inhibiting composition which
the mode-line could use.

Bye,
Tassilo