Re: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:40:18 -0900

On 2/18/20 10:36 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
When I run emacs with init.el and then invoke list-packages, the help
window does not show for a package, regardless of mouse click or using
keystroke "?"
Did you mean only that a particular package is not listed?

Or did you mean that if you use a particular package the help window (buffer `*Packages*') is not shown?

This is not a problem when I start emacs with -q.
I'm loading a lot of stuff in init.el, so I would welcome any ideas as
to what I have 'require'd or configured.
After much tinkering, I have found that the following code in init.el
(require 'dired+)
Disables the information component of list-pack
Again, same question as above.

If you mean only that Dired+ is not listed, then
I understand: It's not available in an ELPA repo;
it's available from Emacs Wiki.

But if you mean that requiring Dired+ prevents
`list-packages' from displaying, then I don't
see that. I use Dired+, and `list-packages'
works for me.

Or maybe there's more to the problem than just
that `list-packages' doesn't display `*Packages*'?

A priori, I don't think dired+.el should have
any effect on `list-packages'.

By loading emacs as emacs -q ;; no init file

Adding the path to dired+ to the load-list via *Scratch*

Then loading dired+ with

(require 'dired+) ;; in *Scratch*

The *Help* window for any package is displayed as it should.

This suggest to me that some other configuration in init.el has a side effect that is not apparent 'til dired+ is loaded. I.E. dired+ doesn't trigger that problem so much as it is interacting with something else.

This is going to take me some time to track down, with my limited skill set, I'll just have to play around with disabling certain features with dired+ loaded and see what happens.

l8tr

--
Tim
tj49.com