Re: Google Drive nonfree

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Google Drive nonfree
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 20:07:10 +0100

SuarezMiguelC via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Emacs email list!, I'm an user of Emacs which I love using.

Hi,

> I'm here for some clarification, Navigating the Emacs official page, I
> could see on releases that you present the feature on Emacs 26.1 that
> you can use TRAMP to connect to Google Drive.
>
> I see problems with this, first, why do we need to connect into a
> propietary software within emacs? isn't this making Emacs non-free?
> Two, well, mentioning non-free software on your documentation on
> EmacsWiki and also on the main page as I said.

Read
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html>.
Network services aren't free or non-free, what matters is the
client. Emacs + Tramp do not use any non-free software.

Tramp does not *recommend* Google Drive. It just offers access to it,
like to many other network ressources.

> Maybe I have some ideas wrong with this, if I stated something wrong,
> please correct me.
>
> Thanks!
> Miguel Suarez

Best regards, Michael.