solved[]Re: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: solved[]Re: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:21:28 -0900

See
and bottom posting on this message
On 2/17/20 2:26 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)

When I run emacs with init.el and then invoke list-packages, the help window does not show for a package, regardless of mouse click or using keystroke "?"

This is not a problem when I start emacs with -q.

I'm loading a lot of stuff in init.el, so I would welcome any ideas as to what I have 'require'd or configured.

This issue was submitted as a bug. Subsequently the package maintainers and the individual associated by the bug report were initially unable to reproduce the error message of "No Package Specifiied"

I received instructions on how to debug the the request. I found that the command describe-package was failing because the original defun of that name was overriden by the the fn-help+ package that was a dependency of the dired+ package. If you were to invoke list-packages and run describe-package against you will see that it is recommended that the package source be recompiled whenever a new version of emacs is installed.

Kudos to Drew and Noam...

--
Tim
tj49.com