Emacs 27 may send invalid email messages without signaling an error

From: Rainer Gemulla
Subject: Emacs 27 may send invalid email messages without signaling an error
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 21:32:55 +0000

I had sent a bug report (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38654) about a bug in messaging in the Emacs 27 branch to the bug tracker over a months ago, but haven't heard back.

It's a severe bug: Emacs may send invalid (i.e., unreadable) email messages to the recipient without the sender noticing. The bug is still present as of today, and this makes Emacs 27 unusable for me.

I tried to look into the bug myself, but got stuck somewhere deep in Emacs internals. Do you have any suggestions for how to proceed or help fixing this bug?