Compiled vs. interpreted ERT test

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Compiled vs. interpreted ERT test
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 23:19:03 +0100

Hi list,

I learned about the package `with-simulated-input`[1] which provides a macro of the same name that's intended for writing automated tests for code that takes user input. When trying to apply this in some ERT test, I found that it works fine if the tests are interpreted (e.g., loaded with `eval-defun`), but not when the test is byte-compiled. Byte-compiled tests fail with the following error:

```
(wrong-type-argument listp
                        #[nil "\300\207"
                              [t]
                              1])
```

I opened an issue on the package's Github page but the maintainer says he doesn't know how to debug this.[2] So I'm coming here in the hopes someone has an idea or a suggestion how to debug this.

TIA

Joost

Footnotes: [1] https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/with-simulated-input

[2] https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/with-simulated-input/issues/6