Re: x-clipboard-yank insert kill-ring entry instead of primary selection

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: x-clipboard-yank insert kill-ring entry instead of primary selection
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 14:56:32 -0500

>> -(defun mouse-yank-primary (click)
>> -  "Insert the primary selection at the position clicked on.
>> +(defun mouse-yank-primary (&optional event)
>> +  "Insert the primary selection.
>
> A nit: a command that can be invoked not by mouse shouldn't be called
> "mouse-SOMETHING".

;-)

I had the exact same reaction while writing the code.
Then again, mouse-set-point works with non-mouse events and I'm guessing
that many/most other commands in mouse.el can work with non-mouse events.

Not sure what we should do about it.  Renaming them all seems too
much trouble.  And they were all written with the mouse as the main
use case.  And they are all in mouse.el.

So I'm thinking maybe we can keep the "mouse-" prefix not to mean "only
useful for the mouse" but "originally introduced for the mouse" or
¨found in mouse.el".

        Stefan