Re: How to save a file with embedded unicode maths symbols

From: Pieter van Oostrum
Subject: Re: How to save a file with embedded unicode maths symbols
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 11:43:26 +0100

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday, March 9, 2020 at 4:27:32 PM UTC, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
[...]
>> Did you open it in Emacs?
>> What you see is the utf-8 encoding of Φ interpreted on reading as
>> latin-1 (iso-8859-1) or a similar encoding, like Windows-1252. Is your
>> Emacs configured to prefer one of these encodings?

> I have:
>
> GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
>  of 2019-04-13
>
> I have not made any specific encoding config changes as far as I am aware.
>
> Yes I opened the file in emacs.
>
> Is there an emacs option to switch to utf-8 encoding when I view the file?

Yes. You can use  C-x RET c (universal-coding-system-argument), then specify
utf-8, and the give the command to open the file (like C-x C-f).

If you regularly work with utf-8 files (something I would recommend) then it is
easier to set utf-8 as your preferred encoding. As it seems this is currently
not the case, check your LANG environment variable or related ones. It may
specify something that causes latin-1 or so to be the default encoding. As you
experience, latin-1 or even Windows-1252 (which is an extension of latin-1) are
not sufficient for today's international/scientific environment. More
specifically, it cannot encode the Φ.

You can find more information in the Emacs info file: (info "(emacs) Language
Environments")
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/