Re: How to save a file with embedded unicode maths symbols

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to save a file with embedded unicode maths symbols
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:03:45 -0400

>>> What you see is the utf-8 encoding of Φ interpreted on reading as
>>> latin-1 (iso-8859-1) or a similar encoding, like Windows-1252. Is your
>>> Emacs configured to prefer one of these encodings?
>> I have not made any specific encoding config changes as far as I am aware.
>> Yes I opened the file in emacs.

Hmm... nowadays, Emacs should use utf-8 by default when possible
(i.e. if it is a valid utf-8 encoding, then we should assume that it is
indeed utf-8).  AFAIK that's already the case in the default config.

What happens if you open the file in an Emacs with none of your personal
config changes?  E.g. with `emacs -Q <thefile>`?

        Stefan