Re: How to enforce unicode font for all charsets?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to enforce unicode font for all charsets?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:48:02 +0200

> From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 14:31:40 +0300
>
> When there is some particular charset property on text, Emacs chooses
> to render it using font that has corresponding encoding, such as:
>
> x:-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--24-240-72-72-c-120-microsoft-cp1251
>
> for windows-1251 charset.
>
> When there is no charset property, the font being used to display the
> same character is:
>
> xft:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-23-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
>
> I'd like the latter font to be always used, no matter if and what charset
> property is active. How do I achieve this goal?

Customize your fontset to specify that font for the charset for which
Emacs by default doesn't use it.  You will have to add charsets as you
find them, there's no useful way of specifying a font for all of
them.  Moreover, specifying that font for any charset is probably not
a good idea, since no font covers all of Unicode.