Re: How to enforce unicode font for all charsets?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to enforce unicode font for all charsets?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:55:46 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:07:02 +0100

>     >> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
>     >> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>     >> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 17:22:57 +0100
>     >>
>     >> I can reproduce this with a Cairo+HarfBuzz build. Iʼm guessing itʼs
>     >> because of font-encoding-alist.
>
>     Eli> Please tell more.  My system has the same font-encoding-alist, so
>     Eli> there must be some other factor at works that prevents me from seeing
>     Eli> the issue.
>
> The following makes the issue go away, so you maybe don't have any fonts
> that match 'microsoft-cp1251'.

No, it looks like my default font supports microsoft-cp1251 (which is
not surprising).  So you are saying that DejaVu Sans Mono doesn't?

> Iʼm not entirely clear where font-encoding-alist is applied.

I hoped you'd explain how was support of an X Registry like
microsoft-cp1251 being established on systems that use Fontconfig.
Because it's a small mystery to me.  If we understood that, we could
perhaps figure out why Terminus is being selected in this case.