RE: Bookmarks in EWW

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bookmarks in EWW
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 07:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

> I meant the other locations where a special
> `bookmark-make-record-function' is implemented, e.g. "doc-view".  I
> only had a quick look but most places don't care the features your code
> provides.  I didn't want to say your code would not work, I also didn't
> want to say that those features aren't useful.  But if we add them, we
> should add them in a uniform way for all implementations of
> `bookmark-make-record-function', not only for eww.  This is something I
> don't want to do.

FWIW -

The stuff that's in that make-record function is only for EWW.
In Bookmark+, the make-record functions for other kinds of
bookmarks don't have such things.  They're specifically about
renaming the EWW buffer, etc.

So no, I don't think such things apply "in a uniform way for
all implementations" of a make-record function.  They're only
for EWW.

(BTW, there's nothing about "sessions" in the Bookmark+ code,
AFAIK; I haven't understood that part either, of your and
Marcin's messages.)

There is an Emacs Dev thread about this stuff.  See

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-04/msg00622.html

Note that that thread was started by someone requesting to be
able to do, for EWW, some of the kinds of things that Bookmark+
offers.

And this part of that thread speaks to the use of EWW "bookmarks"
versus regular bookmarks, and to the use of different make-record
functions for different kinds of bookmarks:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-04/msg00660.html

'Nuff said.  I'm not pushing anyone to use code similar to what
I offered.  My point is that those particular features were
added specifically for use with EWW - they're not Bookmark+
features used for any other kinds of bookmarks.  The latter kind
of feature I didn't provide the code for here, though such things
(e.g. tags) were requested in the original Emacs Dev thread.  I
didn't provide them in the code I offered here because they do
require more of Bookmark+.