Re: Observation on sizing up a rose

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Observation on sizing up a rose
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 14:38:13 +0100

xfthb:-Free-Symbola-normal-normal-semicondensed-*-15-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
(#x1F7F)

    >> Thanks. I can reproduce this, but it works correctly on emacs-27 with
    >> cairo support enabled rather than xft, so Iʼd suggest an upgrade.

    Tomas> Thanks back. It doesn't feel like an emergency exactly but why not. I
    Tomas> normally just build with ./configure, make and make install. Do you
have
    Tomas> the command line configure option to just enable cairo support in
place
    Tomas> of xft. What other impact may it have (benefits / drawbacks)? And of
    Tomas> curiosity, do we know why this is reproduced with xft but not with
    Tomas> cairo.

'./configure --with-cairo' should do, assuming you have the cairo
development package(s) installed. Cairo has the advantage that it
doesnʼt suffer from the issues that Xft has with newer font features,
plus you'll be avoiding various potential crashes.

Robert