Re: saving/restoring text and overlays

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: saving/restoring text and overlays
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 15:14:19 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
>> From: Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca>
>> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:21:39 -0500
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> So it appears that enriched text mode did do what I want, but the way
>> Emacs handles display properties is too permissive...
>>
>> This leads me to ask why the feature was nuked rather than handling it
>> like file variables
>> (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/File-Variables.html).
>
> It wasn't nuked, you are reading too much into that NEWS entry.  Only
> the dangerous part was disabled, and even that can be enabled if you
> trust the source of the file.

You are right.

After more investigation, I find that Emacs 25.2.2 on Ubuntu 18.04
is not saving the x-display properties while Emacs 26.1 on Debian
testing does.

Inspection of enriched.el on each system shows that on Ubuntu
enriched-translations is missing the portions

    (FUNCTION      (enriched-decode-foreground "x-color")
                   (enriched-decode-background "x-bg-color")
                   (enriched-decode-display-prop "x-display"))
    (display       (nil         enriched-handle-display-prop))

Sigh.

Apologies, I should have looked more carefully.

Leo