Re: How to deal with winmail.dat in Gnus

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: How to deal with winmail.dat in Gnus
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 10:14:36 +0100

On Wednesday,  1 Apr 2020 at 09:48, H. Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> Today I sent to myself an email from Outlook with a PDF attachment and I
> received an email with a winmail.dat attachement!  Never seen such a
> thing in my live.

You need to tell Outlook to send using MIME, not it's own
"standard".  When our organization moved fully to Outlook, I spent the
first few months pointing this out to people.  Eventually, in our place,
the default was changed somehow.

On Linux, there's a tool called "tnef" which will decode these
files.  Not sure how to get gnus to apply that, however.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.6 on Debian bullseye/sid