Re: Question mail package

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: Question mail package
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 18:00:19 -0300

Hello Eric,

> On Monday, 30 Mar 2020 at 17:56, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
>>   1. Gnus becomes quite slow when handling dozens of thousands of
>>      messages;
> Yes, maybe, for some backends.  It works just fine with nnml for me with
> 10s of thousands of emails in some of the groups.

For me nnml takes several minutes to process thousands of messages for
splitting, expiring, spam or ham-training.  One can see it handling each
message, one by one in the mini-buffer.

>> [1] Running multiple Emacs instances is not an option.
> Why not?  I used to do this all the time some years ago when I had to
> use an imap mail server on the other side of the planet with large
> latency.  I had one instance for gnus and one for everything else.  Just
> curious.

I use Emacs as my main computing environment.  Quoting from [1]:

  [...] to serve the noble purpose of filling into the gaps of making
  GNU Emacs a practical and convenient “computing environment” for me —
  after all it’s my main system at home and work, across several OSes:
  GNU/Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, ReactOS and FreeDOS. That means that all
  those systems boot directly onto full-screen Emacs (most graphically),
  and all my user initialization code is inside my .emacs (rather than
  .xsession, .xinitrc, .profile or .bashrc) – so all helper
  sub-processes are managed by Emacs; my window manager is EXWM
  (wherever possible), and I use Emacs for everything feasible, the only
  exception being to resort to a javascript-capable web-browser for
  sites requiring it and whose job can’t be done with Emacs alone.

Thus running another Emacs instance is undesirable for two reasons:

1) They don’t share the same Lisp interpreter; the instance using Gnus
   would be isolated.  The two instances would have to cooperate through
   primitive means like the file system and clipboard.  This is
   cumbersome.

2) Using an Emacs inside another Emacs is inconvenient and might lead to
   confusion keybind-wise.

Footnotes:

[1]  https://oitofelix.github.io/elpa/

--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
<http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/>