difficulties to use ELPA while MELPA working as expected

From: mf_tech
Subject: difficulties to use ELPA while MELPA working as expected
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 21:08:57 +0200

Dear Emacs Helper Team,

**Summary** On a **Debian "Stable"** installation, it is possible without difficulty to **install packages from Melpa but not from Elpa**.

Furthermore, the command **package-list works with ELPA**, an installation request can be submitted.

It does not seem to be related to communication difficulties.

This is the recurring answer; I want to install **delight** which I unfortunately I need to use.

**Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:443**
**package-install-from-archive: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auto-correct-1.1.4.el: Bad Request**

The Melpa installation works after .emacs has been minimally adapted as suggested by https://melpa.org/#/getting-started

Elpa installation does not work, neither via package-install nor via package-list. This happens even without the .emacs file

This problem is reproducible on two logically nearly identical machines.

There are some complains on the Web about this problem, but I have not seen any solution.

**Installation**

uname -a
**Linux hercules 4.19.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.98-1 (2020-01-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux**

emacs starting page
**This is GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-09-23, modified by Debian**

Could it be that this is a Debian bug ? It looks unprobable, but I cannot appreciate.

Thanks for your help and best regards

Mathias