Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 11:35:38 +0200

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 04:57:16AM -0400, Boruch Baum wrote:
> On 2020-04-17 10:15, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> > The fields tested as browser characteristtics were
>
> Thanks. Good to know.
>
> > The most identifying characteristics is User Agent followed by
> > HTTP_ACCEPT Headers.
>
> Of course emacs-w3m and w3m have no choice but to send them, but ...
>

> > Browsing the web with a text based browser is not a common thing to do,
> > so from a browser fingerprinting point of view I guess the uniqeness is
> > to be expected.
>
> Right. That's why I suggested in my original e-mail...
>

>    "What might be more useful is to set variable w3m-add-user-agent to t,
>     and then set w3m-user-agent to some generic and popular user-agent
>     string."

What I'd do is randomly select from a choice of, say, 100
popular browser strings.

Bonus points if we manage to come up with a random schedule
which is "just right" -- too much random and "they" [1] notice,
too little random and they're not confused enough.

Cheers

[1] No, not some little grey men. Just the algorithms. Paid by
   the ad industry, so working for them...
-- t