Re: how to renumber footnotes?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: how to renumber footnotes?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 11:16:06 +0100

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> I have 2 org-mode documents called 'file-a' and
>> 'file-b', and both have got several hundred footnotes
>> starting with 1. I'm adding file-b on to the end of
>> file-a, and trying to renumber the footnotes, so that
>> even if file-a has 354 footnotes, and file-b has 421
>> footnotes, the whole file renumbers the footnotes and
>> continues on from 354 to 355, 356, 357, etc
>> and onwards.
>>
>> But how can I do this please? The org-mode footnote
>> program can't do it [...]
>
> Yes, all tho I'm not an org-mode user, I'm pretty sure
> it can :) Else that would be plain horrible.

You're right, it is horrible! org-mode cannot differentiate between
[fn:1] at the beginning is different from [fn:1] halfway through! And so
with all the other footnotes!

> How do you make a reference/footnote in org-mode?
> Because if its all good in document A, and all good in
> document B, you should be able to just merge A an B into
> a new document AB and then get correct footnotes. (here,
> merge = find-file AB, yank A, yank B, org-mode does its
> thing -> correct footnotes)

I copy file-b and paste it into file-a, and the renumbering of the
footnotes does not take place, for the reason I explained earlier.

Hence my request for someone to help programmatically. I believe that if
the script looks back at say 3 previous footnotes, stores the numbers
into a string/variable, and then commences footnote renumbering from the
highest number in the string/variable. So the second footnote [fn:1] is
changed to [fn:315] and onwards. But I'm not a programmer, hence my
request for programming help.

Thanks
  Sharon.
- --
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.2, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 27.0.90, org 9.3.6