Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 05:16:49 +0200

Tomas Nordin wrote:

> Different browsers (mis)use this header string
> differently [1]. The string lists mime types in
> a certain order with some optional ratings for each.
> If an un-common browser has this string different from
> common browsers it adds uniqueness.
>
> [1] https://www.newmediacampaigns.com/blog/browser-rest-http-accept-headers

But now we are talking some other string, right?

The UA string as defined in `w3m-user-agent' is, in my
system at least "Emacs-w3m/1.4.632
w3m/0.5.3+git20190105", it seems to be made up of the
version numbers of Emacs-w3m and w3m(1), which are BTW
derived/also present (?) from/in `emacs-w3m-version' and
`w3m-version'.

However what they speak of in that URL is a string that
states in what form the server should grant a HTTP
request from the browser. I didn't find any Emacs-w3m
variable for that but outside of Emacs-w3m but still in
Emacs this sounds like it:

  url-mime-accept-string
  String to send to the server in the Accept: field in
  HTTP requests.

I don't know what that package is tho, nor if it is used
by Emacs-w3m.

Its nil anyway.

--
underground experts united