Re: Info viewer: Links to function documentations?

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Info viewer: Links to function documentations?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 23:23:53 +0200

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> As for hyperlinks to Emacs documentation: if the intent is to link to
>> the doc strings, then this is just a question of someone coming up
>> with the code to do that.
>
> It seems that most of the work is already being done with the `helpful'

Sorry for above remark, it is completely off the mark.  `helpful' is
about help buffers and NOT info buffers.

The way to go is to inoculate the machinery from help-mode.el (based on
button.el) into info.el.  This I managed for functions, variables and
symbols (based on quotations with `' ) in info files.

At the moment I'm stuck with extending info keybindings so that, for
example, <TAB> is skipping to the buttons and to the texinfo links.

I've seen that help is building a sparse map and using a parent map

  (defvar help-mode-map
    (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
      (set-keymap-parent map (make-composed-keymap button-buffer-map
                                                   special-mode-map))

I'd like to do something similar for info as well but info is not using
a sparse map and I'm not sure if I can use set-keymap-parent.

 (defvar Info-mode-map
   (let ((map (make-keymap)))
     (suppress-keymap map)

Thank you for your feedback