Re: How to get a pinentry box to digitally sign all emails

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: How to get a pinentry box to digitally sign all emails
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:03:47 +0200

    Phillip> It seems to be the logic associated with finding the signing key.

    Phillip> Setting:

    Phillip> (setq mm-sign-option 'guided)

    Phillip> lets the whole thing work, but you have to use the dialog (which
has a
    Phillip> truely horrible UI) that pops up and tell it to use the default key
    Phillip> everytime.

    Phillip> I tried to debug this, but for no reason that I can fathom edebug
seems
    Phillip> to fail on the key (pun!) functions.

My mind must be twisted, the code seems obvious enough :-)

Either

(setq mml-secure-openpgp-sign-with-sender t
      mml-secure-smime-sign-with-sender t)

Then the sender of the message will be used to select the signing key
automatically.

Or (untested)

(setq mml-secure-openpgp-signers "<phillip.lord@russet.org.ok>"
      mml-secure-smime-signers "<phillip.lord@russet.org.ok>")

(obviously you donʼt need to set both the openpgp and smime variants
if youʼre only using one).

Allegedly you can use Key IDs rather than email addresses.

    Phillip> Robert, Sharon could you try the "mm-sign-option". I am curious to
see
    Phillip> if this is the same bug.

Yes, it is. I donʼt set mm-sign-option, I use
mml-secure-openpgp-sign-with-sender.

Robert