Re: emacs 26.3 strange error

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: emacs 26.3 strange error
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:52:10 -0400

Script started on 2020-04-28 19:48:03-04:00 [TERM="linux" TTY="/dev/tty1"
COLUMNS="200" LINES="56"]
[jude@taf ~]$ emacs .emacs

[?25h[?8c[?25h[?0c

[?25h[?8c[?25l[?1cFile Edit Options Buffers Tools Help

                   |Error (initialization): User jdashiel
has no home directory

-UUU:----F1  *scratch*
All L1     (Fundamental)
----------------------------------------------|-UUU:%*--F1
  *Warnings*     All L2
(Special) ---------------------------------------------------
[?25h[?0c[?25h[?8c[?25l[?1cFor information about GNU Emacs
and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
[?25h[?0c[?25h[?8c[?25l[?1cFor information about GNU Emacs and the
GNU system, type C-h C-a.File Edit Options Buffers Tools Emacs-Lisp
Help

                   |Error (initialization): User jdashiel
has no home directory
;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of

;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.  If you don't want it,

;; just comment it out by adding a semicolon to the start of the line.

;; You may delete these explanatory comments.

(package-initialize)

(setq package-archives

          '(( "gnu elpa" .
"https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)

            ( "melpa"    .
"https://melpa.org/packages/"; )))

(setq gnutls-algorithm-priority
"NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")

(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

;; Show keystrokes

(setq echo-keystrokes 0.02)

;; loose hourglass for text terminals without mouse

(setq display-hourglass nil)

;; optional keyboard short-cut

(global-set-key "\C-xm" 'browse-url-at-point)

(setq fill-column 72)

(setq use-dialog-box nil)

(setq delete-old-versions t)

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgtbl)

(setq org-table-use-standard-references t)

(setq-default display-line-numbers 'relative)

(setq gnus-interactive-catchup nil)

(setq imap-ssl-program "openssl s_client -tls1
-connect %s:%p")

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail.com"

                                     (nnimap-address
"dashielljude@gmail.com")

                                     (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)

(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)

(setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function

         'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)

(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)

   (setq gnus-thread-ignore-subject t)

-UU-:----F1  .emacs
All L1     (Emacs-Lisp ElDoc)
-----------------------------------------|-UUU:%*--F1
  *Warnings*     All L2
[?25h[?0c[?25h[?8c[?25l[?1c(No changes need to be
saved)
[?25h[?0c[?25h[?8c[?25l[?1c(No changes need to be
saved)
[?25h[?0c[?25h[?8c[?25h[?0c[jude@taf ~]$ exit
exit

Script done on 2020-04-28 19:49:28-04:00 [COMMAND_EXIT_CODE="0"]
This happens with any file opened by emacs 26.3 given my current
configuration.