Re: Xref oddness

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Xref oddness
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 22:20:59 +0300

> From: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:00:27 -0700
>
> Our sysadmins have setup where our home directories and development
> directories are on multiple drives but are all symlinked through the same
> top-level directory.  For example, my actual home directory is on
> /home2/patrick but it is access via /home/patrick (patrick under /home is
> sym-linked to /home2/patrick).  The same occurs for our development
> directories (/development/patrick is sym-linked to /development5/patrick).
> Now since our development directories are setup as multiple directories, I
> was using the following  method for finding TAGS files -
>
> (setq tags-table-list (list "./" "../"
>                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/lib")
>                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/bin")
>                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/include")
>                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src")))
>
> WORK is defined as the top of my current development sandbox and changes as
> I jump between sandboxes.

I don't think I understand how the symlinks come into play here.
Could you please tell more?  How do you get from $WORK to
/home/patrick and /home2/patrick? or maybe its /development/patrick
and /development5/patrick?  I'm confused.

> Or should I just go back to redefining those keys to the old
> 'find-tag' et.al.?

Not recommended: you'll be fighting an uphill battle.  Perhaps there's
a bug, or there's a way to configure your Emacs a bit differently.