Re: two column mode ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: two column mode ?
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 13:11:40 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 18:49:13 +0900
>
> No, reading the manual did not help, hence my question, but your reply that I
> should read the manual did suggest that I had missed something important and
> I went back to the manual and it looks like this mode is for editing a file
> that has 2 (or more ?) columns, or to add a column to an existing file.

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

> I have never seen such a file in text format so the purpose was not obvious.
>
> Also, I tried a number of things (C-x 6 2, type in the new window, C-x 6 1,
> merge) but not much happened so I'm a bit lost...

You should add a column separator to see something happening, AFAIU.

> What are the use cases for this feature set ?

You pretty much summarized them above, and I don't know more about
this than what I can glean from the manual.  This is a very old mode,
from before Emacs 19; maybe ask on emacs-devel, where some veterans
might know its roots and use cases.