Re: Xref oddness

From: Patrick Mahan
Subject: Re: Xref oddness
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:17:37 -0700

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 2:39 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:32:30 -0700
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > I realized I forgot to describe the problem I am seeing.  If I am
> editing a file in a sandbox, for example, emacs
> > $WORK/src/bin/app1/main.c, then need to find a tag (M-.) under 25.2 it
> always gives me two choices, both
> > are same, except one shows the sym-linked directory and the other shows
> the realpath directory.  Forcing
> > me to have to chose.
>
> What do you see in the TAGS file in this case?  Are there 2 entries
> there for each function/variable, one for the real directory and
> another for the symlink, or is there only one entry?

Sorry, IRL is intruding here.

In all TAGS files I only see 1 entry for the tag and the file is shown as
/home/pmahan/... not /home2/pmahan.

But again, when I attempt to xref-find-tag-other-window, it is giving me
two options to choose from and then it bounces back to the original window
and displays the output there instead of just using the new window (or
creating a new window).  This is becoming annoying because it is breaking
finding a tag that exists inside the current source file.

If I override these settings back to the original 'find-tag' and
'find-tag-other-window' it works as expected.

Patrick